Yesterday we
toured two museums in town that were very interesting. In a nutshell the town of Valdez was located
4 miles away from here. We drove out
there the other day, not much left. The
town was destroyed by earthquake and tsunami in 1964. They now refer to it as
Old Valdez. The 800 mile Alaska pipeline
ends here in Valdez. We can see it
across the bay from our campsite. Oil
flows at approximately 6 mph from North Alaska and they load it up here in barrels
and directly onto a tanker. We saw the
tanker over there the other day when we went out on the cruise. The captain pointed out how the tanker was
lopsided at the time. He said that means they are still filling the tanker and
it will level out once filled. The next
day the tanker was gone, just like he said it would be. I remember doing a book report on the
building of the Alaska pipeline in high school back in the 70’s. Valdez was not a tourist town until the Exxon
oil spill back in 1989. That caused an influx of people and became a tourist
attraction ever since.
I bet the
older woman that checked us into this rv park has a story to tell. She’s lived here over 40 years. She is a tiny, weathered, feisty little
woman. She mentioned that she’s worked
on fishing boats and was a pilot. Yes, I
would love to hear her story.
6/27/12 VALDEZ,
AK
Today is a
repeat of yesterday’s heavy overcast skies but more rain and 48 degrees. We leave out of here tomorrow and head for
Palmer. A couple we met back in Watson
Lake extended us an invitation to camp at their house on our way through to
Anchorage. We took them up on the offer
and do look forward to visiting with them again. They are a fun couple and we
enjoyed them during the very short time we had at Watson Lake. We’ll prowl around Palmer a day or 2 then
move on to Anchorage where I’ll meet up with Diane, an old high school
classmate that I’ve not seen or heard of since the 70’s. Gotta love facebook for reuniting with long
lost friends. I can’t wait to hear about
her life after high school.
Yesterday we
did laundry. Today we made a run to the
grocery store and filled up with gasoline.
Given the dreary weather we’re having here I’ll be ready to move
on. Although I don’t think the weather
is much better where we are heading, or pretty much anywhere in south
Alaska. Just one of those things you got
to push through. I’m so grateful we had
the beautiful 70’s sunshine weather we did the first few days we arrived. Otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to see
these gorgeous views Valdez has to offer.
I was really looking forward to seeing your Valdez pictures! But I couldn't get either of the links to work. Both took me to a page that said, "Sorry--that page was not found."
ReplyDeleteDenisa
hmmm.....I tried it and it worked. Maybe try this one, then you'll see two folders that are labeled Valdez. https://picasaweb.google.com/home
ReplyDeleteI'm just learning a bit about Picassa. Hope you can open it, this is a beautiful place.
By the way, we have used one of the food tents on one occasion. I loved it! Didn't have to worry about those pesky gnats, mosquitos & flies getting in our grub.