Posted from Downtown RV Park, Lake Watson, Yukon
6/3/12
Left Jasper and intended to drive to Grande
Prairie, but we got there earlier than expected so decided to go on to Dawson
Creek. We saw a couple elk along the way
and also a coyote just before arriving at Dawson Creek. Spent the night in the Wal-Mart parking
lot. There was 2 other RV’s there when
we arrived and 3 more when we got up this morning.
6/4/12
Monday – Dawson Creek.
24 bottles
of water at Wal-Mart, Great Value brand $3.94. Large eggs $2.57.Groceries seem more reasonably priced since we left the National Parks.
Dawson Creek is the start of the Alaska Highway. We shopped Wal-Mart and Safeway then on to the Visitor information center at mile 0 and took photos in front of the “Mile 0” sign. We talked to a couple from California for a bit, real nice folks headed to Alaska also. Maybe we’ll meet up with them down the road. Our most expensive gasoline purchase was today at $5.00/gallon. We anticipated $6.00 or so at some point. On the way to Ft. Nelson we saw a small black bear running from the road out into the forest! It was the cutest thing! Then about 80 miles south of Ft. Nelson we saw another larger bear right on the side of the road grazing. We didn’t see it in time to pull over for pictures. The two lane road does not have a shoulder so you can’t really pull over unless there is a pull out. The drive today was very pretty, rolling, winding hills, not much traffic. One of the guide books I was reading today mentioned an abandoned camp site. We decided to check it out since it was only less than ½ mile off the road. That’s where we are now. It’s very nice and we are the only ones here. There is no signage; you have to have the GPS coordinates to find it. It was called Prophet River Provincial Park. We hiked down to the river, just a short 1/2 mile or so. I was VERY afraid of bears but it was a nice walk and a nice winding river. No wildlife. Campsites in Canada seem to be just under $40 a night for full hook ups (FHU). Maybe $15 to $20 or so for no hook ups. I like dry docking for free when we’re on the move. FHU when we’re stationary. It helps off- set those expensive camp fees.
Mile 0 - Dawson Creek
6/5/12
Tuesday – Liard Hotsprings. MOOSE &
BISON SIGHTINGS!
Last nights
camp site was a real find. We did have a
car with 3 young people pull in last night and put up a tent. They were very quiet and provided us with a
bit of entertainment as we watched them through our dining window put up the
tent and cook outside. I imagine they
are on their way up to Alaska on a very tight budget. Other than these youngsters, we were the only
ones at this abandoned camp site. It is
well hidden ¼ mile from the highway. You
have to know it here. I found out about
it in a book written by Mike & Terri Church called “Alaskan Camping”. A very good book to have along with the
Milepost. These two books are
invaluable. The good thing about
Church’s book is that it gives GPS coordinates.
Otherwise I would not have found this campsite.
Today we
made our way to Liard Hotsprings. We spent a good amount of time in Ft. Nelson
filling up with gas and having lunch. We
found a municipal dump and water station across from the visitors center. We took on a lot of water since we will most
likely need it whether we stay in a park or dry camp along the way. It seems most RV parks in the area don’t have
hook ups. They do have water available
in areas but not at each campsite. We
spent time looking for a pay phone but never found one. I can’t believe they
don’t have very many pay phones in Canada.
We need to make arrangements to have our mail forwarded to us as it’s
been almost a month since we got it last (at Debbie’s in Laramie). One place I had read about and was really looking
forward to seeing today was Muncho Lake.
It has beautiful blue and green waters and I contemplated staying the
night here. But I guess it was not to
be, it was heavily overcast and drizzly all day. When we got to Muncho Lake it was so overcast
we could not see the colorful huges of the water. I also had to look fast as Norm barely slowed
down to 60mph! Dam it! I was so looking forward to seeing this
beautiful lake, it was a “must do” on my itinerary. What a disappointment. After Norm and I had a “discussion”, he
pulled over so I could at least get a picture of the lake, even though it was
sprinkling and you just couldn’t get a good picture. Now I have to say that last night Norm was
telling me that I was in too big of a hurry and that we should slow down to
“smell the roses”. Now who’s in a
hurry? As we smell the roses going 60
mph!
On a good
note; we saw several moose along the way!
What magnificent creatures they are!
They like marshy areas and I think the overcast, drizzly weather brought
them out. As we got closer to Liard
River we saw Bison grazing along side the road.
We pulled over to watch them and they never even looked up. We are camped across the street from Liard
Hotsprings Provincial Park. The camp is
full tonight as I suspected they would be this late in the day. I had read about this gravel lot across the
street from them and knew we’d probably spend the night here then see if they
had any sites open up tomorrow. There is
a large toyhauler RV, 3 vans and an 18 wheeler here also. We’ll stay two more nights in the park and
enjoy the hotsprings. Norm really loves those hotsprings. They are located
inside this park. You can pay to use the hotsprings even if you don’t stay in
the park. They are free for campers
staying in the park. If the sun comes
out in the next few days we will back track to Muncho Lake, about 30 miles or
so.
My thoughts
on RV Camping:
Although we
have been living in an RV for some time, 9 months now, we’ve spent most of that
time stationary. We closed on our home
sale August 31st and moved into our RV that we had set up in an RV
park nearby. We lived there with full
hookups until I finished my job in April.
We left Georgetown, TX about 6 weeks ago so we haven’t been traveling very
long. So far I love the life style. It’s amazing to me that you can travel and
live in the comfort of your own home!!!
We travel far & wide and just pull over at anytime, anywhere, to do
whatever we want. Take a hike, bathroom
break, lunch break, dinner break, sleep for the night, enjoy the scenery, etc. We have all the comforts of home no matter
how far off the beaten path we get. It
also amazes me that even when we are out in the boonies “roughing it”, without
hookups, we can still cook on our stove top, bake in the oven (propane), keep
our refrigerator going (propane), take showers (propane and electric hot water
heater), turn on the heater when it gets to cold (propane). And if we have a cell phone signal we often
have wifi that we tether from our smart phone (not in Canada). I continue to be amazed by all this. We do have a generator that we must run every
few days to recharge the RV batteries.
And really it’s best if we have electric hookups at least every 5 days
or so since the generator doesn’t fully charge the batteries. Solar panels would solve that problem; maybe
someday we’ll spring for those. I love
to dry camp in out of the way places, not so much in RV parks. I’m surprised that Norm does not like
that. He prefers parks, mostly for the
security. Sometimes I think about our
house we sold back in Georgetown and miss the space, the kitchen, the living
room I decorated just like I liked it…….but no regrets. If we buy another house sometime I’ll enjoy
fixing it up. For now I don’t want to be tied down to a house. It’s so easy to pull up stakes and move
anywhere we please. 6/6/12 Liard Hotsprings –
Our free gravel lot worked out great for us last night. I would stay there again, probably 2 nights and just walk over to enjoy the springs paying the daily entrance fee. We moved into the Liard Hot springs Provincial Park today for 2 nights. (Provincial Parks in Canada are like State Parks in the US). It’s heavily overcast and drizzling again today. Not a bit of blue sky anywhere. It’s light jacket weather, no wind. This is a very nice wooded park, no hookups. No need to unhitch the truck since there really isn’t much to go and do in this area. The hot springs is the only thing this place has going for it. We walked the half mile down the nice boardwalk to the hot springs and soaked for 1 ½ to 2 hours. They have changing rooms right there by the hotsprings. One for the boys, one for the girls. Boy, you never saw so many wrinkly boobs & butts in your life, haha. Norm is already talking about staying here longer because he just LOVES that hot water. It is the best hotsprings I’ve ever been to. Very natural setting, different temperatures, not a lot of sulfur smell. It was very refreshing, even in the sprinkling rain. We’re back at camp, showered, in my comfy jamies, enjoying a Canadian beer and will cook some dogs out on the grill soon.
6/7/12 Still overcast & rainy in Liard River.
I heard a light rain off and on all night. At some point in the night I heard what sounded like rapid gun fire and dogs barking. We heard it yesterday while out walking. I have resolved that it is noise the park rangers make to scare away wildlife, bears most likely. I was wide awake by 6:00 this morning. The best time to see wildlife is early morning or evening. I got dressed and went for a walk. I imagine the swampy board walk area is a great place for Moose. I asked Norm to come with me but he rolled over in bed and muttered something about someone being crazy. The only wildlife I saw was Canadian Geese. They are very pretty. They make a loud honking noise, almost sounds like a dog barking. I had a very nice walk in the sprinkling rain, peaceful, I only saw 2 other people outside. I like to see all the different rig configurations in the park. Some very nice big motorhomes, some very old vintage motorhomes, cab over campers, class C’s, some tent campers, a few traveling by motorcycle. Several pulling boats, some pulling another camper behind it. I don’t know if there are any caravans here but there are people traveling together, following each other on their way to Alaska. It looks like another heavy overcast day with more drizzly rain. We’ll go for a hike today and soak in the hotsprings. Yep, I’ll be ready to move on tomorrow. Hopefully out of this dreary weather.
No comments:
Post a Comment