6/11/12 LAKE
WATSON, YUKON
1 package of
4 drumstick ice cream cones $9.44.
2 Lt (1/2
gal) 1% milk $4.29It's still light at midnight, at 1:00 a.m. it looks like 8:30 p.m. in summer time in Texas.
Partly cloudy today with 60% chance of rain, which it did off and on today. Remember I took up some carpet in our RV a few weeks ago? Well….being bored I decided to prime the stairs last night and let them dry over night. This morning I installed the vinyl tiles we bought at Home Depot back in…..somewhere…can’t remember where. Just completed the stairs then decided to remove the sheet vinyl in the hall, cleaned it and let it dry while we took a walk around Wry Lake. It sprinkled on us off and on but was really a nice day. Stopped at the grocery for milk and muffins and returned home. We had to remove a piece of fiber board from the stairs and I decided to make us a sign out of it to put up in the sign forest here in Watson Lake. After I finished the sign we walked over to the sign forest and Norm installed it on a post. I took pictures which I’ll post when I get wifi that’s fast enough. I primed the hall floor so it will be ready to install vinyl tiles next time the notion hits me. Probably sooner rather than later since we found out that it will most likely be a few more days before the Alaska Highway is repaired and they open the road. I get so bored so fast! I can’t stand having nothing to do. Good thing I have this little home project to work on. Wifi is extremely slow today, I guess because it’s gotten a bit cold and drizzly so more people are staying inside today.
We met a
very nice couple that is parked next to us last night. We sat outside with them for while and
thoroughly enjoyed chatting with them.
They are Gary and Jill from Baja California Sur, Mexico. They have a house in Alaska where they have
lived for some time until they moved to Mexico a few years ago. They come up to Alaska in the summers because
they still own a house in Palmer, which their son may take over soon. They have a very interesting story and we
enjoyed hearing about their home and experience in Mexico. All I can say is WOW. Bella, their dog is a very sweet rambunctious
dog. I love watching her, she has a
great personality.
They finally
got Alaska Highway 1 repaired.
Because Watson Lake was so overrun with travelers they had to let people
go by priority. First priority was
transporters (truckers) so they can get their goods to where they need to go, so
the stores will be stocked when we get there.
Second priority was for people in need of medical attention and those
sleeping in their cars (hotels have been full).
Third and last priority were the people in self contained vehicles (rv’s). We got things ready last night so we could
make a dash for it if possible this morning.
We were not real hopeful, many thought we would have to stay in Watson
Lake another day. Norm got up at 5:00
this morning!!!!! This NEVER
happens. He was the pessimist that didn’t
think we’d be able to go. I did not want
to wake up since I didn’t get to sleep until 2:00 a.m. or so. So 5:00 was really early for me. But I dragged myself out of bed because I
thought it would be a disaster with everyone trying to leave town at the same
time. No problem though, we pulled out
just before 6:00 a.m. and were the only one’s stirring around at that
particular time. By the looks of the
trailer park we were not the first, many had left already, but many still
remained. All the truckers were gone
from the roadsides, even a lot of rv’ers still camped on roadsides. We made it to Whitehorse, Yukon around 1:00
p.m. We’re staying at Pioneer RV Park
just outside of town. It’s turned off
cold, in the 40’s today. After getting
camp set up we went into town to eat and Walmart shop. It took me a LONG time to find a place to eat
as I’m always looking for something with good atmosphere, food and good local
beer. So far I am not impressed with
Whitehorse. There seems to be dirty, seedy characters on every corner.
I was actually afraid for my personal well being. We got a recommendation from the visitors
center, Roadhouse Steakhouse. When we
got there it was a dirty run down building with a few locals inside
drinking. We waited some time for
someone, anyone to take our order. After
awhile we (I) got PISSED off and stormed out, cursing all the way. So far
I really, REALLY HATE Whitehorse.
Tourist are the only ones keeping this little one horse town alive, and
the people are rude. Maybe it’s just me,
I get cranky when I get hungry and my cranberry muffin at 6:00 this morning wore
off hours ago! We wound up at “Klondike
Rib & Salmon”. It didn’t look great
but turned out really good. The ribs and
salmon were fantastic. But heck, horse poo
probably would-a tasted pretty good to me by now so what do I know. Did I mention I get somewhat cranky when
hungry? Just keep me fed and I’m happy
as a little lark. Anyway, maybe tomorrow
my attitude will change. Norm certainly hopes
so.
The World Famous Sign Post Forest is Watson Lake’s best known attraction. So famous, it is known - and mimicked - around the world.
The forest was started in 1942 by a homesick U.S. Army G.I., Carl K. Lindley of Danville, Il., Company D, 341st Engineers. While working on the Alaska Highway, he erected a sign here pointing the way and stating the mileage to his hometown. Others followed his lead and are still doing so to this day. On July 20, 1990, Olen and Anita Walker of Bryan, Ohio placed the 10,000th sign. Carl K. Lindley and his wife visited the site in 1992, 50 years after his first post was erected.
Today, the Town of Watson Lake maintains the site, erecting more posts as they are needed through the Adopt-A-Post Program.
The World Famous Sign Post Forest is Watson Lake’s best known attraction. So famous, it is known - and mimicked - around the world.
The forest was started in 1942 by a homesick U.S. Army G.I., Carl K. Lindley of Danville, Il., Company D, 341st Engineers. While working on the Alaska Highway, he erected a sign here pointing the way and stating the mileage to his hometown. Others followed his lead and are still doing so to this day. On July 20, 1990, Olen and Anita Walker of Bryan, Ohio placed the 10,000th sign. Carl K. Lindley and his wife visited the site in 1992, 50 years after his first post was erected.
Today, the Town of Watson Lake maintains the site, erecting more posts as they are needed through the Adopt-A-Post Program.
Stranded folks along the streets of Watson Lake.
Our rig at "Downtown RV Park", Watson Lake
No comments:
Post a Comment