June 13, 2012

6/13/12 WHITEHORSE, YUKON CANADA

Two T-bone steaks $40 at the grocery store.
After a good night sleep I woke up in a new world, with a better attitude.  Today we went into town to shop, Walmart and the grocery store.  I realized that in the US we are very spoiled.  I make my grocery list then go to the store and get everything on my list.  Here in Canada, the shopping is not so good.  Stores don’t have much selection.  You have to take what you can get and I leave the store with only half of what is on my list.  Some stuff that they do have is so darn expensive I don’t want to pay that much, other stuff I just rub my neck and write the check, cuz we do have to eat. 

We drove to Mile Canyon and took a short hike along the rim of the canyon, maybe 1.5 miles or so.  It’s a very pretty area, I wish I had more energy today to hike more but for some reason today I feel very tired.  Probably too much sleep last night.

We bought tickets today for a combo bus/train trip to Skagway.  We hadn’t planned to go to Skagway but when we read about this day trip it sounded nice.  A bus picks us up tomorrow morning at 8:40 right here at the RV park.  Takes us about 40 miles or so then we get out to see Emerald Lake and board the train which takes us on into Skagway.  We have 2 hours to tour on our own then take a bus all the way back to Whitehorse, stopping a few places along the way (4 hours back).  We return at 5:00.  Because of this excursion we paid for another night here at the RV park.  Friday we head to Haines, our first Alaska town!  We only plan to stay one night there, but hey, we’re not on vacation, we’re on retirement time so we’ll see.

I got bored being stuck in Watson Lake so made us a sign to put in the sign forest.
 Mile Canyon, Whitehorse, Yukon


No comments:

Post a Comment