June 22, 2012

6/20/12 VALDEZ, AK

A bag of Nacho flavored Doritos chips $5.99.
Happy Birthday to my hubby!
This morning I visited the Info Center in Tok to pick up more information on Alaska.  Alaska does a great job of putting information out there.  This Info Center was the best and most organized I’ve ever seen.  I walked away with an armful of brochures and colorful magazines for every town we’ll visit.  Next door was the Bureau of Land Management where I picked up a map of BLM land camping.  Next was the grocery store to get water and a few essentials.  Norm finished up repairs to the trailer and we left for Valdez.  Since we got away late I thought we would stop short of Valdez to boondock then go on into Valdez tomorrow.  I like to get settled in early because the rv parks fill up quickly by late afternoon and the pickens are slim.  We want to stay a week in Valdez so I want to get a good spot.  For various reasons Norm wanted to keep going (you know he likes to smell the roses driving by at 60 mph right?).  So here we are, in Valdez.  It’s late, I’m tired, hungry and very cranky (you know I get really cranky when I’m hungry, right?).  We took on water at the Tesco station as you enter Valdez.  They are so nice there!  You can dump for free also, but we really didn’t need to do that. We quickly filled the holding tank and turned back to go out of Valdez to a couple of places we saw that might work for boondocking for the night.  We are in a good spot, although it is right by the highway with traffic going by.  If we don’t get run out of here I’m sure it will be fine. This will give us a chance to go into town early tomorrow to scope out our choices of rv sites.  Check out time is usually around 11:00 so we’ll see what opens up.  Because we’ll be here a week I want to get a good site in town near the harbor. 

The view from our RV

Boat Harbor

No comments:

Post a Comment