Although wifi here is fairly fast during the day, pictures take awhile to load. That's why I don't post many.
June 24, 2012
6/23/12 VALDEZ, AK
Today we
went on a 9 hour cruise on the Stan Stephens Valdez Spirit Catamaran to see
wildlife and glaciers. We first cruised
by the Columbia glacier but could not get very close due to the huge ice
chunks. Then we cruised over to Mears
glacier which is very active. We floated
within ¼ mile of the glacier, it seemed like we were closer. What a view of this beautiful wall of
ice. It was calving and we saw 2 or 3
big hunks of ice fall and several smaller ones.
It was a sight to see and the sound they make is even more amazing. Sounds like thunder! Maneuvering in amongst the chunks of ice was
just as amazing. I could never get tired
of looking at this. We saw a large hump
back whale sleeping in among the ice.
The captain said you never see this; he was amazed the whale was sleeping
in the ice since it has sharp edges. On
the return trip we entered into a big open area where there was a LOT of
whales. We witnessed one breach several
times. We were close to him. I know I say “amazing” a lot, but that’s the
only word that comes to mind when I see something like this. It was ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!! I feel so fortunate that we were able to see
this. We’ve been on whale watching
cruises before and seen whales, but never breaching. WOW!
DOUBLE WOW WITH SUGAR ON TOP! We
also saw sea otters, so cute just floating around on their back, relaxing. We also saw sea lions sunning on a beach and several
eagles, some floating on the ice chunks and porpoise swimming and jumping alongside
the boat and a goat with baby perched on a mountain side. I’m so glad we decided to go on this
cruise. I feel like we’ve seen it all
now and could just go home. Almost. It’s supposed to be 105 degrees one day this
week in Georgetown, Tx, so guess we’ll stick around here awhile.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment