August 29, 2012

8/24/12 KLUANE LAKE, YUKON


Not being able to sleep last night I got up a few times during the night to check for the lights.  Strange how the clouds seem to clear at night and the beautiful stars shine.  No lights this night tho.   We left out of Border City Rv Park today and headed to Haines Junction.  I was hoping to get 250 miles up the road somewhere between Haines Junction and Whitehorse.  We crossed the Canadian border very quickly this time.  Only a few questions and we were on our way.  Ran into some road construction along with the bad roads and we lost a lot of time.  Sometimes only driving around 25 miles per hour.  I saw soooo many little ponds and lakes along the way.  I don’t remember seeing so many on the way up to Alaska.  The Milepost says to watch for Swans in the lakes on this portion of the drive.  I looked for miles and miles and finally did see about 5 or 6 in a lake but we were not able to stop, no shoulder of the road and I saw them a little too late to stop.   On up the road a ways I did see another pair of swans and asked Norm to stop.   There was a shoulder to pull off on and we took a few pictures.  They were not real close but I was in awe of these beautiful creatures.  Looked like Trumpeter Swans.  I wish we could have found a place alongside this little lake to spend the rest of the day and night just watching this graceful pair.  We traveled on and ran into road construction that slowed up down to 15-20 miles per hour for several miles.  The road seems like it’s in better shape than when we were on it a few months ago.  Still, we had to take it slow.  I was determined to find a secluded spot not far from the road near a creek, pond or lake.  It was apparent because of delays we would not make it as far as planned.   I read about a gravel road that leads down to Kluane Lake about 40 miles from Haines Junction.  When we reached it I asked Norm to pull off onto the shoulder of the road while I walked down to check it out. Not wanting to get the rv in a spot unable to turn around I walked a good ways.  I found a pretty good spot, level and able to turn around but visible from the road.  I continued on to see if there was a place that was not visible from the road.  After awhile I realized there might be bears in the area so turned around and went back around and waved Norm on to come on down with the rv toward the lake.  We decided to park the rv and continue walking down the road to see where it went.  Probably ½ mile down we found out it made a loop back to the main road and we found an excellent level spot with a beautiful view of the blue Kluane Lake to park for the night.  We quickly walked back to the rv and drove to the spot we picked out.  I got out of the truck and guided Norm into our site, watching for sharp rocks, concentrating on a level spot when suddenly I looked up and saw a bear come up the embankment from the lake about 30 feet away.  YIKES!  Scared me!  I quickly got into the truck.  We took pictures and watched this grizzly mosey on down the road coming within 20 feet of the truck.  He made his way down the path, toward our truck for a bit then went back down the embankment and down the shoreline, probably looking for fish. Boy, that was a rush. I wonder where he was when we walked down here to check out things just a little bit ago?  What would we have done if he came up that embankment when we were on foot checking out the place?  WOW.  We found a level spot out of view of the traffic and set up camp.  We got our chairs set up out looking toward this beautiful lake and laughed and talked about out encounter with this grizzly bear.  Then all of a sudden a wolf came up the same embankment about 50 feet from us.  At least I think it was a wolf.  Not sure, maybe a coyote?  To funny, so much wildlife in the Yukon.  How long will we stay here?  Dunno.

No comments:

Post a Comment