I hope to get a better picture of the aurora borealis.
August 14, 2012
8/14/12 NORTH POLE, AK
I found out
about an aurora (northern lights) notification system and signed up to get a
text when the lights are out. Two nights
ago while camped in Denali around 1:30 a.m. I got a text saying the aurora was
being seen over Fairbanks. I went
outside and did not see them right away, but soon I began seeing them to the
north towards Fairbanks. Although faint
in the sky they looked like green clouds.
I woke Norm to come see. We stood
outside for some time watching. It was
pretty cool, I couldn’t wait to get to Fairbanks in hopes of seeing them
better/brighter. The next day
(yesterday) we hitched up after being in Denali 11 days and headed to
Fairbanks. We are staying at River View
RV Park in North Pole which is 10 miles outside of Fairbanks. I chose this park because it is out of town,
away from the light pollution of Fairbanks.
It has proven to be a perfect spot for aurora viewing. Last night I got up at 12:15 to check on the
lights. None at that time. At 1:15 I got a text saying they were being
seen in Fairbanks but none at North Pole.
I went outside and watched for 20 minutes or so and they began to
appear. I woke Norm to come see. As soon as he came out the lights got
brighter and bigger. It was
AMAZING! Large wide bands of beautiful
vibrant green across the starry sky.
Sometimes large bands, then looking more like clouds or green smoke. This went on for probably an hour. It was a beautiful night, no wind, very
still, a bit cold but tolerable. After
awhile they subsided for a half hour or so then reappeared for a short
time. Norm went to bed about 2:30. I stayed up til 3:30 or so. We took pictures of the lights but they
turned out blurry. I did some computer
research for taking pictures of the aurora borealis and adjusted my camera then
took pictures of the crescent moon (the lights were not out). After some practice pictures and setting up
the tripod I think I’ll be able to take some pretty good pictures if we see the
lights again. I’ll be ready. The aurora forecast is looking pretty good
again tonight, providing it doesn’t cloud up.
I’m so excited about seeing those lights!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment