August 29, 2012

8/23/12 BORDER CITY, AK


We’ve really enjoyed our little paradise on the Gerstle River.  We explored the area on foot a bit and collected wood for a campfire last night.  Cooked burgers on the grill and enjoyed our sunshine.  I got up around midnight to see if the northern lights were out and they were!  I woke up Norm and we watched for a few hours.  They were much better this night but only lasted about 30 minutes then faded to a white cloud like color.  The campfire was still smoldering so we got it started back up and sat next to it to keep warm.  We finally went back to bed around 2:30 or so and woke up about 10:30.  Then got on the road quickly and drove about 200 miles just 4 miles short of the Canadian border.  We’re staying at Border City Lodge and RV Park. It’s been cloudy all day so probably no chance of aurora lights tonight, although I’ll still check because this Alaska weather is very unpredictable.  I really hate leaving this beautiful state with it’s cool weather. 

No comments:

Post a Comment