Seems like every other night I can’t sleep, then the next night I sleep good out of exhaustion. Last night was one of those nights I couldn’t sleep. It was nice lying in bed hearing the blue grass band playing just 50 feet or so from our rv at the Seaview Bar. By 11:00 p.m. the bar shut down and this sleepy little town was quiet once again. But still I can’t turn off my mind for sleep so I lay awake several more hours. This weekend is Hope’s blue grass festival. It’s not like the blue grass festivals in Texas that are so huge you have to take a shuttle in from the parking lot to attend. Hope is a tiny town, population 150 and we were fortunate enough to stumble upon it when they were having this festival. So the population probably swelled to 225 or so, counting me & Norm. Anyway, I got up a little grumpy today and ready for a cup of Joe. As the coffee percolated Norm pointed out all the tent campers across the gravel road from us that arrived the night before. A lot of people here for the festival we suspect. They were our entertainment for the morning. As I watched the tent campers making a fire to keep warm, one of them looked a little familiar as he loaded the ice chest with beers. Our conversation went something like this:
Pam: That looks like Ponts.
Norm: Who?Pam: Ponts, from the show Flying Wild Alaska, the bush pilot.
Norm: Oh
Pam get’s her binoculars (Yes, RV’ers are nosey): Yeah, I think it is Ponts. Don’t you?
Norm: Well it kinda looks like him, but no, it’s not him.
Pam keeps looking through her cheep binoculars: Omg, I believe it’s him, looks just like him.
Norm: uh hu…. (as he keeps reading a book)
Pam: I swear that’s Ponts. Doesn’t just look like him, it is him!
Norm: Kinda looks a little like him, but no, it’s not him.
Pam: You left the coffee pot on with no coffee in it, now it’s burning!
Norm: Oh, sorry.
So we go for
a walk, but it’s cold and windy and I’m not in the mood to be outside. We go back to the rv and have lunch. Today, Saturday, the festival started at 2:00
p.m. We went over to the bar about 2:30
and ordered a couple beers. They have a
deck outside where the band was set up.
Because it was cloudy and windy today it was a bit chilly and I opted to
sit inside, just inside the door to the deck so we could see some of the band
playing. They have 4 bands scheduled to
play today until they close at 11:00 p.m.
We enjoyed them immensely. Our next conversation:
Norm: that wasn’t Ponts.
Pam: what?Norm: that guy that was just at the bar, the one you thought was ponts earlier, wasn’t him.
Pam: what guy? I didn’t see him.
Norm: Oh, I thought you saw him, he just walked out.
Pam: Why didn’t you point him out to me?
Norm: hm…..haha, wasn’t him anyway, don’t worry, he’ll be back.
Pam: Don’t assume I see him, point him out if he comes back!
When the
third band comes on deck there are probably 60 people in all there, inside and
out on deck. Norm says “that band guy is
one of the guys camped across from us, with Ponts. You know, the guy that you
think looks like Ponts. The Ponts look
a-like will be back”. And guess
what? Soon, I see Ponts sitting with
some of the other campers out on the deck in front of the band!!!!
Pam: Norm, there’s Ponts!
Norm: haha, (disbelief).Pam: I’m going to get my camera from the rv, I’ll be back so you can take my pic with him.
Norm: k, haha
Pam returns with camera.
Norm: Go ahead, talk to him, ask permission to take his picture.
Pam: I’m going, you just stand by with the camera (Pam makes sure camera is turned on and ready). When you see me wave you on, come take the picture quickly.
Norm: Make sure you have his permission to take a pic (still in disbelief that it’s Ponts).
Pam walks behind the row of seats and taps Ponts on the shoulder “Are you Ponts?”.
Ponts: Yes (with those big dimples and white chicklet smile, just like on TV).
Pam: Can my husband take my picture with you?
Ponts: Sure! (he turns his chair to put an arm around my shoulder)
BAZINGA! (As Sheldon would say).
And Norm, he’s right on que, takes the pic, “We’re fans of the show”.
Pam: LOVE YOU!
We walk away like school girls that just met Justin Bieber. Hahahahhaha. Then we stalk him for another hour or so with huge smiles on our faces.
We laugh for a long time, sure made our day here in little Hope, Alaska. It ranks right up there with meeting Conan O’Brien, seeing David Blain in Central Park, walking by Bill Clinton in Manhattan and seeing the hump back whale breech in Valdez. I won’t be able to sleep again tonight for sure.
My favorite Bush Pilot!
No comments:
Post a Comment