I’ve been looking for a work camping job for this summer. Yellowstone National Park is where I REALLY wanted to work so we applied and were contacted for a phone interview. The interview took almost an hour and we were offered a position if interested. They only have full time work, we don’t want to work that many hours. It’s an extremely busy park and we don’t want to work that hard. Minimum wage pay and they charge you for your campsite. Maybe some other time. I’m very disappointed that’s not going to work for us. Maybe we can find something in the area so we can enjoy Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks one summer.
We’ve
applied with several places, Rocky Mountain Recreation Area, Snow Mountain
YMCA, Colorado State Parks, a dude ranch, a lodge near Bryce Canyon, Utah (LOVE
Bryce Canyon) and interestingly enough we’ve been offered several
positions. However I am being very picky
and have certain criteria to be met. We
don’t want to travel far this summer, elevation can’t be too high or too low,
temperatures can’t get real high, there has to be plenty to see and do in the
area, not too much work or hours involved and I want to work with other work
campers, and getting paid would be a big plus as well as a free campsite. We don’t want to work 40 hours, 20-30 would
be good. After all, we’re looking for a
fake job, not a real one! We accepted a
job at Ridgway State park in Colorado.
After much research the area is perfect (near Ouray). Lots of hiking and
historical sites. Within driving
distance to a lot of sites. The job
meets all of my criteria except pay. We
get a campsite but it does not pay. It
involves riding around in a golf cart checking campsites, preparing sites after
someone departs (sweep patio, clean out fire pit, etc). It’s a nice area, 7,000 ft. elevation. No cleaning bathrooms. We do have to work in the visitor center one
day a week. Oh, and we have to be nice
to the campers, that could be hard. Lol. What I’ve found out in general is that part
time jobs offer a FHU site but don’t pay.
I have seen some jobs in Oregon and Washington that have fewer hours and
pay, maybe next year we’ll go there. I
subscribed to workcamper.com where there are many job listed but a lot I’ve
found just surfing the internet. There
are free sites that have work camper jobs posted as well. I’ve kept information on jobs I may want to
check on next summer.
We report to
our jobs the last week of May and work through Labor Day. The plan right now (it changes daily) is to go
up to Tahlequah, OK to get Norm’s dental work done in April. Stay in that area a couple weeks to see
family and friends. Maybe take a trip
over to Arkansas (Eureka Springs?) for a week or so before heading to
Colorado. I’m ready to just do
something!
Retirement pictures from recent annual staff recognition event at SU:
No comments:
Post a Comment